I’m sure by now all of you have watched Jaclyn Hill’s recent YouTube video where she talked about all of her favorite individual eyeshadows that are in her large Zpalette. I was so excited for this video that I started taking notes on everything she said so that I could see which ones I already have and figure out which ones I wanted to purchase. I figured I might as well turn my notes into a blog post and add some commentary about each eyeshadow 🙂
So, here are Jaclyn Hill’s favorite single eyeshadows:
The “notes” I took from the video/Jacyln’s descriptions are in regular font. My thoughts are in Italics.
- MAC Nylon – super frosty highlight with yellow undertone, can be used as a cheek highlighter too. I have a ton of highlight colors that I never use so I won’t be purchasing this one.
- Makeup Geek Mirage – natural looking highlight, slight sheen. Same as Nylon, I don’t need any more highlight shades because I do not end up using them.
- Makeup Geek Rapunzel – perfect amount of sheen, great for brow bone highlight, looks gorgeous on a lot of skin tones. If I were to get one of the highlights, I probably would choose this one because I tend to like a more matte highlight under my eyebrow.
- Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie – one of her favorite transition colors, very natural, awakens eyes. I have this shade and love it. I actually like to wear it over the lid instead of as a transition color.
- Makeup Geek Creme Brûlée – beautiful natural shade (can be mixed with Peach Smoothie as a transition color). I have this shade and love it too! Great transition color!
- MAC Soft Brown – similar to Creme Brûlée, more of a pink undertone. I have this shade and love it too!! I’ve actually found myself reaching for Makeup Geek Latte over this one recently. I was surprised that she didn’t include Latte in her palette.
- Makeup Geek Frappe – medium-tone brownish red. This shade looks gorgeous. I’ve only made one large MUG order and I ordered a ton of browns so I think I skipped over this one. I’m going to see if I have a “dupe” in my collection and if not, I will definitely be purchasing this one.
- MAC Kid – Might be discontinued, great transition color for someone really fair, great for cool-toned eye looks. I’m not really fair-skinned and I don’t particularly like to wear cool-toned eye looks so I will be passing on this one. I think this is the eyeshadow that Coffee Break with Dani raves about.
- Makeup Geek Barcelona Beach – a lot of grey tones, good for cool-toned eye looks. Again, I don’t wear a lot of cool-toned looks so I will be passing on this one.
- Anastasia Fawn – great transition color, very neutral brown. I don’t own ANY Anastasia eyeshadows. I love Mallory Ervin and she uses a ton of ABH eyeshadows so they have been high on my list to purchase. I just haven’t had a chance to narrow down which shades I want. I’m going to see if I have a “dupe” in my collection and if not, I will definitely purchase this one.
- MAC Saddle – one of her favorites, been using it for forever, one of her favorites to put in the crease, bronze/warm brown. I have this color and it looks gorgeous but I never reach for it. I am definitely going to make an effort to use this more.
- Makeup Geek Desert Sands – looks like baby puke, mustardy-yellow. I don’t find this shade appealing at all (especially after hearing her description of it LOL). I am sure this is one of those that looks horrible in the pan and great on but I don’t plan on purchasing this one.
- Makeup Geek Chickadee – peachy-orange shade, great to use as a transition color when you have a tan. I don’t find this shade appealing at all – in fact, my notes when I was watching the video literally said “Ew, I don’t like this shade at all”. This is another one that probably looks great on, but I don’t plan on purchasing this one.
- MAC Amber Lights – rusty gold. I used to have this shade and I think I lost it. I’m sure I have shades similar to this one but I have been meaning to repurchase. I mean this shade inspired Kathleen Lights name – how could I not include it in my collection?!
- MAC Swiss Chocolate – not super pigmented, deep purpley-brown. I have this color and use it to darken up my outer corner sometimes – it is really pretty.
- MAC Red Brick – matte red-orange. My notes from watching the video literally say “scares me”. Haha. I am definitely not someone who is adventurous with my makeup. I tend to stick with neutrals and me doing a “crazy eye look” typically means I have included something shimmery on my lid and not worn all matte shades.
- Makeup Geek Poppy – Pinky/Coral/Orange undertone. This shade looks really pretty. I have no idea how I would use this so I am not sure if I would purchase it or not.
- Anastasia Henna – Statement shade, coppery/rusty red very pigmented . This shade looks really pretty. I have no idea how I would use this so I am not sure if I would purchase it or not.
- MAC Coppering – one of her favorites, can see it from a mile away, shimmery copper shade. This shade looks amazing, if I can find a tutorial on YouTube of how to actually use this then I will definitely buy it.
- Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear – all matte burnt red/brown. I have this shade and it is absolutely gorgeous. I need to use it more.
- Anastasia Fudge – very dark fudge-y brown, her favorite brown right now, very neutral. Again, I don’t own any ABH eyeshadows yet – but this one is another one that is on my wish list. I am curious to see if I have any dupes in my collection though.
- Makeup Geek Grandstand – great for a smoky eye with browns in the crease, pinky/champagne undertone. I have this shadow… if you are going to buy only one eyeshadow from this list – make it this one!! I really need to buy more MUG foiled eyeshadows. This color is so creamy and pigmented and gorgeous!!! I love to wear it all over my lid.
- Makeup Geek Vintage – matte medium toned cool purple – good for blending out other purple shades (don’t take it up to high or it will look like a bruise). Ok, again – I am not much of a color person so most of these colored ones are ones that I am going to pass on.
- Makeup Geek Cherry Cola – purpley cherry undertone
- Anastasia Aubergine – perfect amount of sheen, good purple color
- Makeup Geek Bitten – warm purple eyeshadow
- Makeup Geek Americano – medium-dark cooler tone matte brown. This shade looks too cool toned for me.
- Makeup Geek Cupcake – soft pink, hard to wear if you are a little fair. This color looks really pretty! I had a pink shade from MAC that I used to love (I think it was Expensive Pink) so I might actually order this one.
- Anastasia Macaroon – lilac purple color, very intense shimmer. Too shimmery for me.
- Makeup Geek Houdini – emerald turquoise blue. Not happening. Too out there for me.
- Makeup Geek Dragonfly – bright aqua blue. Not happening. Way too much color for me.
- Makeup Geek Jester – foiled eyeshadow olive green with golden undertones, great for brown eyes. Not happening, too bright for me.
- Makeup Geek Dirty Martini – matte olive green. This color is really pretty but I already have an olive green eyeshadow (MAC Sumptuous Olive) and I never wear it.
- Makeup Geek Enchanted Forrest – all matte forrest green. HMM this one is gorgeous – I might need it??
Disclosure: Links may be affiliate. Thank you in advance for supporting my blog.